I was happy to see–and participate in–the great discussion about gender in math education and in particular, math education blogging over on Dan’s post on Gender Bias in 101qs. As a graduate of a women’s college, I’m always up for a civil, thoughtful discussion of gender issues. And this definitely achieved both criteria.
A fellow commenter, Johanna, kindly asked me to share some of the names/links to female bloggers that I know. And so I did. Though I wasn’t quite as quick to get mine up as Sue VanHattum. She also put together her list. Between the two of them, there are a myriad of cool blogs to check out.
List of Female Math Bloggers that I know of:
If said blogger also tweets (again, that I know of…) I have linked to their twitter profile–click on their name. In each case I have included the full name that is publicly listed, either on a blog or on a twitter profile. If your tweets are locked, I did not include a link to your profile.
If you are on this list and would like me to add/subtract identifying information, let me know and I will make those changes! If you are not on this list (and you are a female blogger/twitterer of the mathematical teaching persuasion) let me know and I will add you to the page with a hearty welcome!
Caveat: I’m not sure that all of these blogs are currently active. I have included the date of the last post for this reason.
- A Brand New Line, Sophie Germain, last posted March 17, 2012.
- An “Old Math Dog” Learning New Tricks, Lisa, last posted May 17, 2012
- Between Me and The Door, park_star, last posted October 15, 2011
- Cheesemonkey Wonders, Elizabeth, last posted April 25, 2012
- Continuities, Jackie Ballarini, last posted July 2, 2011
- Drawing on Math, Tina C., last posted April 17, 2012
- Educating Grace, Grace Chen, last posted May 24, 2012
- f(t), Kate Nowak, last posted May 21, 2012
- Groupwork, Grading & Geometry–Oh My!, Geetha, last posted May 14, 2012
- I Hope This Old Train Breaks Down, Mimi, last posted May 24, 2012
- Infinigons, etc., Allison, last posted March 3, 2012
- Learning to Fold, Ashli, last posted May 11, 2012
- Math Mama Writes, Sue VanHattum, last posted May 16, 2012
- Mathematical Thinking, Carole Fullerton
- Miss Calcul8, Elissa Miller, last posted May 21, 2012
- Missphilips, Sarah Phillips, last posted March 9, 2012
- Number Loving, Sharon Derbyshire & Laura Rees-Hughes
- Pi Crust, Allison Krasnow, last posted February 10, 2012
- Recipies for Pi, Anna Weltman, last posted May 13, 2012
- Sonata Mathematique, RDKPickle, last posted May 23, 2012
- Square Root of Negative One, Amy Gruen, last posted May 18, 2012
- Teaching Math In Middle School, Fawn Nguyen, last posted May 22, 2012
- Teaching Math Rocks!, Ashley, last posted January 9, 2012
- TeachteKBeck, Kristen Beck, last posted April 27, 2012
- The Mom Teaches, last posted February 16, 2012
*For those of you who recognize that the final phrase in this quotation is “Mills women,” congratulations. You win the prize. [NB: There is no actual prize.]