I’m back from the wilds of the Southwestern states. And, thankfully, I haven’t forgotten how to type.
While on my journeys I developed a scheme, a plan, a goal. And I need your help to accomplish it.
When Avery & I were at the Channel Islands we went on a ranger walk during which we learned that the islands were the setting for the amazing YA book Island of Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell. I immediately decided that I needed to re-read it.
Several weeks later I got to thinking. What if I read a book from every place that we visited? Thus the plan was born.
The only problem is that I don’t have titles for every place we’ve traveled to in the past two months. This is where you come in! If you know of any books (preferably novels) that take place in the following locations, please let me know.
- Maui–Hawai’i/Molokai’i by Michener, or Unfamiliar Fishes by Vowell
The Channel Islands–Island of Blue Dolphins
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Saguaro National Park…or Tucson, AZ–The Bean Trees
Florida, specifically Cape Canaveral area would be good (something by Carl Hiaasen should probably work)–Star Island
- White Sands National Monument…or just New Mexico
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park–Blind Descent by Nevada Barr
Guadalupe National Park…western Texas Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr
- Austin, TX
- Santa Fe, NM
- Great Sand Dunes National Park…Southern Colorado
Mesa Verde National Park Ill Wind by Nevada Barr
- Natural Bridges National Monument…Southeastern Utah
- Capitol Reef National Park
- Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
- Bryce Canyon
- Grand Canyon
- Antelope Canyon…Navajo Nation (we also went through Monument Valley earlier in the trip)
- Zion National Park
- Great Basin National Park…Eastern Nevada
If you have something that isn’t specific to one of these locations…some of them are probably impossible…but you have a book for one of the states–Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada–I would love for you to pass that information along. Otherwise I may get desperate and be forced to read this series.